The hip replacement implants are mostly chosen by the surgeon after consideration of different factors like weight, age, arthritic damage, movement level etc. One, who is considering hip replacement surgery should understand few things about hip replacement implants and its selection. Siiora.com is top ortho implant manufacturer in India.
Understanding Hip Replacement Implants and essential features it should have –
- Long lasting performance for 15 years or more. Patient of younger age group would aim at 20 years or higher
- Should not have any problems in conducting normal movements and activities.
- Not only it should have an established track record from past users, It should also meet present needs of the patient and additional specific requirements, if any.
- For patients prone to Allergy to specific metals, biocompatibility must be ensured.
Implications of Standard Hip Replacement-
Hip replacement necessarily means reconstructing the bone joint, so irrespective of the treatment approach, it is imperative to go for best orthopedic implant fitting your body.
Materials options in hip replacement-
Hip joints are available in different material options viz. Metal, strong plastic or ceramic materials. Mostly, the femoral stem segment is made from titanium, stainless steel or cobalt-chromium alloys. The liner, head and acetabular parts can be made of metal, plastic or ceramic or a combination of these. Strength as well as flexibility of Implant materials is desirable for normal daily movements. The material should also be non-toxic, non-allergic and established to be biocompatible.
Materials of Components of Standard Hip Implant by top Orthopedic Implants Suppliers–
1) Metal on Metal- Ball as well as the socket parts are made of metal. The metal can be stainless steel, titanium, or compounds of cobalt-chromium.
2) Polyethylene and Metal on Polyethylene – Polyethylene is a metal-free plastic of high quality. The socket is generally made of plastic, while other components are made of metal.
3) Ceramic on Metal, Ceramic on Ceramic, and Ceramic on Polyethylene – Ceramic hips are less common, so this material is not used by all surgeons. Ceramic materials are mostly used in combination with components of special plastic. This is used for those patients who are allergic to metals.