Today, there are various industries that make use of concrete floor coatings that are compatible with their rigorous chemical environments. These are tough floor coatings that combat the daily challenges offered by rigid industrial environments. One of the benefits of these flooring systems includes the wide range of colours available. This means that the boring gray colour can be replaced by vibrant colours that contain the same resistive power and durability.
What defines good concrete flooring?
- The flooring should provide an optimal strain resistance and high chemical resistivity.
- It should be abrasion resistant. The floor can comprise of various materials such as epoxies, stains, sealers, overlays, and polyaspartics. The epoxies can be of various colours.
- The sealer should consist of heavy duty oil and stain polyurethane resistant materials.
- It should have a low odour and a water-based epoxy coating.
- For messy oil contaminated concrete floors, there must be an oil stop primer.
- The floor coating should be a fast cure, which is flexible and epoxy-based.
What are the advantages of concrete coated flooring?
- The look of plain concrete doesn’t sit well with clients of most institutions today. The use of concrete floor coatings can turn the mundane gray coloured floor into an interesting pattern-based floor.
- The appearance of a garage or a basement can drastically change by applying concrete based flooring.
- The materials such as epoxies, sealers, overlays, and coatings can be instrumental in hiding pop-outs, stains, scratches, and chips.
- The variation in design is a key benefit of these floorings, along with their cost feasibility.
Some popular floor coatings
Concrete stain-The use of acid stains to add colour to concrete flooring turns the monotonous gray colour into something beautiful. These stains are sealed with a sealer to make the colours permanent. Water-based stains can also be employed in lieu of acid-based stains. Water-based stains offer a wide range of designs, which have an easier clean up than acid stains. A clear sealer is applied as a topcoat to preserve the stains.
Concrete overlay-They append a refreshing look to the underlying concrete floor. Self-levelling underlays can be employed to repair uneven floors. Concrete micro finishes can be done afterward, which transforms the floor into a canvas for concrete stains. Worn out concrete is resurfaced and smoothed using polymer modified overlays, which can ultimately become a decorative stamped overlay. A stencil pattern or texture can be added to the gray concrete with the help of spray-on overlays. Concrete overlays are an optimal choice as they reduce the tedious cost of replacing the old concrete flooring with new flooring.
Concrete dye- These are similar to concrete stains, and they are available in water-based or solvent-based colours. They are available in vibrant colours and can be combined with acid stains to provide unique flooring combinations. A clear epoxy top-coat can make picture-perfect flooring that is preserved for years to come.
Painting concrete floors- They are also called epoxy floor paints, and they are ideal for basement and garage floors. They are chemical resistant, durable, and pretty to look at. The surface preparation is important, but its application is easy.