The installation of Windows updates can hang on certain percentages, 20%, 25%, 45% 56%, etc.
The installation and configuration of Windows updates stuck take place when the computer or session is closed, or when it is started.
This can completely block access to the Windows desktop and Windows restarts in an endless loop or remains blocked on their installations.
All versions of Windows can be affected by this problem: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and even Windows 10.
Meanwhile, we have written a detailed guide on the best laptops which you can go through.
Here’s how to react in case Windows update installation hangs.
WINDOWS BLOCKED ON WINDOWS UPDATE INSTALLATION AND CONFIGURATION
Be patient, on some forum topics, the updates could take several hours.
Do not hesitate to leave the computer running overnight to check if the updates were installed in the morning.
YOU STILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE WINDOWS OFFICE
EMPTY WINDOWS UPDATE CATALOG
To do this, open a command prompt in the admin.
Once this command prompt in admin open, enter the following commands without mistakes:
Empty the catalog of Windows updates that can block Windows shutdown or startup
Then check to see if the problematic updates are still trying to install and continue to block Windows from shutting down or starting.
If emptying the Windows update catalog does not solve the problem and the updates continue to block the computer from shutting down.
You can attempt to restore the Windows system to a date prior to installing the updates.
This puts Windows back on a restore point before installing these problematic updates.
YOU NO LONGER HAVE ACCESS TO THE WINDOWS OFFICE
FATAL ERROR C00000D4 OR C0000034 ON WINDOWS 7, 10
Refer to the next page: Fatal error c00000D4 or C0000034 on Windows 7, 10
Windows 7 has advanced startup options, including accessing Windows 7 recovery options.
- To do this, tap on the F8 key at startup, after the first ignition screen
- You will have a “Repair My Computer” option which allows you to perform a system restore.
- The complete procedure with all screens is detailed on the page: Start a system restore when Windows 7 starts
- If system restore is not possible: try to boot in safe mode always from the advanced boot options.
- In safe mode, empty the update catalog.
- To do this, refer to this page: How to empty the catalog of Windows updates
- Updates should no longer be triggered when Windows starts.
WINDOWS 8 OR WINDOWS 10
Here is the case where you no longer have access to the desktop on Windows 8 or Windows 10.
- As a first step, try to shut down the computer “wildly” while Windows is loading.
- Repeat this two or three times so that Windows goes into automatic repair.
- Windows should detect a bad shutdown and start on the automatic repair which gives access to Windows 10 problem-solving options.
- First, simply choose to start Windows to see if it accesses the desktop.
Repair options provide access to different recovery options.
The first thing to test is the previous restoration.
If this does not work, you will have to try to clear the update cache from the repair options command prompt.
How to start Windows 10 on automatic repair
Finally, if access to automatic repair is not possible, you can use:
- system recovery disc
- the Live Dart CD
- The latter embark on recovery options
You must create a USB key with these and start the computer on it. The previous links give the procedures to follow.
These DVDs will allow you to access the system recovery options.
RESTORING THE SYSTEM
To access system restore options.
- Open the advanced options by clicking on the last option.
- First, there is an option to perform a system restore.
- You can then try to start the system restore.
- This should put Windows back before installing the update and thus unlock startup.
EMPTY THE UPDATE CACHE
If system restore is not possible (no restore point).
In the advanced options, at the top right is the command prompt
From there, you can enter the following commands to clear the Windows update cache.
Enter the following commands carefully, without making any mistakes, otherwise error messages will be displayed in return.
attrib -s -h C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution \ Download \ *
del / q C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution \ Download \ *
Windows stuck at update installation: advanced system recovery options
Restart the computer normally and check if the updates are still blocking Windows from starting.
So, these were some of the steps to fix windows update stuck.
I am the professional online marketer and founder of www.technologynews24x7.com